Ol' South Custard
"Our wonderful neighbor Mildred Williams made Ol' South Custard to serve over this masterful dessert," explains Bill.
This recipe goes with Easy Apple Tart With Ol' South Custard
More From Southern Living
- 1 qt. milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Cook milk in a heavy nonaluminum saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 10 minutes or just until it begins to steam. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat.
- 2. Whisk together eggs and next 3 ingredients until blended. Gradually whisk 1 cup hot milk into egg mixture; whisk egg mixture into remaining hot milk, stirring constantly.
- 3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until a thermometer registers between 170° and 180°. (Do not boil.)
- 4. Remove from heat, and pour mixture through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Place heavy-duty plastic wrap directly on warm custard to prevent a film from forming on top, and chill at least 24 hours or up to 3 days. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note