When i made this i didnt have buttemilk, beer or monty jack. So i substituted what i had: 1 cup 2% milk and colby cheese. These are very time consuming but very yummy!
Okra is a signature Southern ingredient whether fried, pickled, or grilled. Okra Rellenos are essentially fried okra filled with cheese. The recipe yields 2 dozen, but they'll go fast!
More From Southern Living
Total: 40 Minutes
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 1 pound fresh okra (4-inch-long pods)
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark beer
- Corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cut Monterey Jack cheese into 3- x 1/4- x 1/4-inch sticks.
- Cut a lengthwise slit in each okra pod, cutting to but not through ends; push seeds aside. Stuff pods with cheese sticks, and set aside.
- Combine flour and cornmeal in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Stir together egg, buttermilk, and beer; add to dry ingredients, stirring until smooth.
- Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 375°. Dip stuffed okra in batter, coating well; fry, a few at a time, in hot oil until golden. Drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt; serve immediately with salsa.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note