Wow....trip down memory lane! This really brings back memories. My mother used to fix this when we were kids. both my sister and I were picky eaters during childhood, but this was one dish I would clean from the plate. I forgot all about this dish until i came across fresh okra at the farmers market and remembered how much I enjoyed it. Thank you again for publishing it. Instead of rice we serve it over steamed cauliflower that has been pureed with Greek yogurt, green onions a little Parmesan cheese. Thanks Again
Dress up okra, a humble but beloved Southern favorite, with spicy Creole flavors for a mouthwatering side dish. This recipe calls for frozen and canned vegetables, so no chopping required.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
- 3 bacon slices
- 1 (16-ounce) package frozen sliced okra
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen onion seasoning blend
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked rice (optional)
- Cook bacon in a Dutch oven until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon, and set aside.
- Cook okra and next 6 ingredients in hot drippings in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Top with crumbled bacon. Serve over rice, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This