Okanagan Green Salad with Fruit and Chèvre
- 1/4 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1 log (about 6 oz.) fresh chèvre (goat cheese)
- 7 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup fresh raw corn kernels (from 1 ear corn)
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces mixed baby salad greens (about 8 cups)
- 1 nectarine, rinsed, pitted, and cut into ½-inch chunks
- 1/3 cup raspberries, rinsed
- 1/3 cup blueberries, rinsed
- Blossoms from 5 stems fresh lavender (see notes), rinsed
- Prep and cook time:About 30 minutes
- 1. On a small rimmed plate, mix bread crumbs and 1½ teaspoons herbes de Provence. Coat chèvre log with 2 tablespoons olive oil, then gently roll the log in bread-crumb mixture. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 400° regular or convection oven until bread crumbs are golden, 10–12 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, spread pine nuts in a small baking pan; toast in same oven until light golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Let cool.
- 3. Combine corn kernels with 1 cup water in a 1- to 1½-quart pan over high heat; bring to a simmer and cook just until corn kernels are heated through, about 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again.
- 4. In a large bowl, whisk remaining 5 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, and remaining ½ teaspoon herbes de Provence until smoothly blended. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 5. Add salad greens, corn kernels, nectarine, raspberries, blueberries, and half the pine nuts and mix gently to coat. Divide among salad plates. Cut chèvre into ½-inch slices or chunks. Top salads evenly with chèvre, remaining pine nuts, and lavender blossoms.
- Per serving: 337 cal., 77% (261 cal.) from fat; 9.7 g protein; 29 g fat (7.4 g sat.); 14 g carbo (2.4 g fiber); 171 mg sodium; 13 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads