Needs tweaking. If I make it again, I would use a whole cup (stick) of butter (instead of 3/4 C. as specified) and I would press 2/3 of the mixture into the pan instead of 1/2, as specified. As written, the bar is much too crumbly.
Yield: Makes 2 dozen
More From Southern Living
Bake: 30 Minutes
Cool: 1 Hour
- 1 (18.25-oz.) package yellow cake mix
- 2 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup chunky applesauce
- 1/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1. Line bottom and sides of a 13- x 9-inch pan with aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over sides; lightly grease foil.
- 2. Stir together cake mix, oats, and raisins in a large bowl. Stir in butter with a fork until mixture is crumbly and dry ingredients are moistened. Press half of oat mixture evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
- 3. Stir together applesauce, apple pie spice, and lemon rind. Gently spread over oat mixture in pan. Sprinkle evenly with remaining oat mixture.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour or until completely cool.
- 5. Lift baked bars from pan, using foil sides as handles. Place on a cutting board, and cut into 24 bars.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch