Oatmeal Layer Cake With Caramel-Pecan Frosting
The cinnamon-brown sugar combination adds sweetness and just the right amount of spice to this oatmeal cake. The cake layers will not rise as high as those of traditional cakesThe Caramel-Pecan Frosting is also online here; just search for it separately. .
More From Cooking Light
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Caramel-Pecan Frosting
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Coat bottoms of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with cooking spray (do not coat sides of pan), and line bottoms of pans with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray, and dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- 3. Combine water and oats in a medium bowl; let stand 20 minutes. Beat granulated sugar, brown sugar, shortening, and vanilla at medium speed of a mixer for 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oatmeal, beating until blended.
- 4. Lightly spoon 1-1/2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1-1/2 cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 5. Pour batter into prepared pans. Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Remove wax paper. Cool completely on wire rack.
- 6. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread layer with 1/2 cup Caramel-Pecan Frosting, and top with the remaining layer. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of cake. Store the cake loosely covered in refrigerator.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note