I have been making this recipe for a few years now. It freezes great so you can bake large batches at a time. I have also swapped dried cranberries and a little zest for the currants and found that to also be delicious! Smaller loaf pans/tins seem to cook the best.
Oatmeal-Currant Breakfast Bread
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 348
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 9.2g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 52g
- Fiber: 5.1g
- Sodium: 431mg
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup currants or raisins
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine oats and buttermilk. Let soak 1 hour.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Generously grease a loaf pan with 1 tbsp. butter. Stir brown sugar and eggs into oat mixture. In a large bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- 3. Melt remaining 6 tbsp. butter and set aside to cool slightly. Add oat mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in currants and melted butter, and mix until well combined.
- 4. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake until loaf has risen and is well browned, about 40 minutes.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads