This cake is delicious and easy to make. I used salted butter and that was fine.
Oatmeal cake with Broiled Icing
From Cooks Illustrated
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 cup quickcooking oats
- 3/4 cup water, room temperature
- 3/4 cup allpurpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BROILED ICING
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut 16 inch aluminum foil and fold lengthwise to 7inch width. Spray 8 by 8 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and fit foil into baking dish, pushing it into corners and up sides of pan; allow excess to overhang pan edges.
- 2. Combine oats and water together in medium bowl and let sit until water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. In another medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg together.
- 3. In large bowl, beat butter, and sugars together with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined, about 30 seconds. Beat in flour mixture, in two additions, until just incorporated, about 30 seconds. Beat in soaked oats until combined, about 15 seconds.
- 4. Give batter final stir with rubber spatula to make sure it is thoroughly combined. Scrape batter into prepared pan., smooth top, and gently tap pan on counter to settle batter. bake cake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with few crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating pan halfway through baking. Let the cake cool slightly in pan, about 10 minutes.
- 5. For the broiled icing: While cake cools adjust oven rack to be about 9 inches from broiler element and heat broiler. In medium bowl, whisk, brown sugar, melted butter, and evaporated milk together, stir in coconut and pecans. Spread the mixture evenly over warm cake. Broil until topping is bubbling and golden 1 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by crosscourt and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Oatmeal cake with Broiled Icing Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Cakes/Frostings