Oatmeal and Fresh Berry Parfaits With Chantilly Cream
"A Taste of 'Treme': Author brings recipes from New Orleans neighborhood" by Michael Hastings. Winston-Salem Journal: Wednesday, August 21, 2013. Recipe by Lolis Eric Elie, former columnist for the Times-Picayune, author of "Treme: Stories and Recipes from the Heart of New Orleans."
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 6 cup(s) fresh blueberries, blackberries, strawberries or a combination
- 2 tablespoon(s) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon(s) fruit liqueur such as pear brandy, elderflower liqueur or orange- flavored liqueur
- 1 cup(s) uncooked oatmeal, preferably steel-cut
- 5 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup(s) loosely packed light or dark brown sugar
- Chantilly cream:
- 1 quart(s) heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) sour cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 1. About 2 hours before assembling the parfaits for serving, if using strawberries, stem them and cut into pieces about the same size as the other berries. Put all the berries in a medium glass, ceramic or stainless-steel bowl. In a small bowl, combine the granulated sugar and liqueur and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the sweetened liqueur to the berries and stir gently with a rubber spatula until the berries are well coated with the syrup, being careful not to break up the berries. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve, stirring gently about every 45 minutes with the spatula.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook the oatmeal according to the package directions. Then cover and set aside at room temperature until ready to serve.
- 3. Just before assembling the parfaits, gently rewarm the oatmeal over low heat; thin with a little water, if needed. (It shouldn't be too hot, or it will melt the Chantilly cream.) Add the butter and brown sugar and stir to mix well. Cover to keep warm and set aside.
- 4. Also just before assembling, make the cream: In a large bowl, combine the heavy cream, sour cream, liqueur, and vanilla. Whisking by hand or using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the mixture just until soft peaks form, 5 to 10 minutes if beating by hand or about 3 minutes if using an electric mixer.
- 5. To assemble the parfaits, layer in each glass 2 tablespoons oatmeal, then 2 tablespoons drained berries, then 2 tablespoons Chantilly cream, then another 2 tablespoons oatmeal. Top with more berries, dividing them evenly, and end with 1 tablespoon Chantilly cream on top of parfait with a few more berries for garnish. Serve at once, with long-handled spoons.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note