This was great! I used a whole egg instead of just the whites, and unsalted peanuts. I ended up just putting the crushed peanuts in with the baking mix and it worked fine. If you have fresh okra in your garden this is the BEST way to use them! You might even convert an okra hater to an okra lover with this recipe.
Pulse the peanuts in a food processor for easy chopping.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 42 Minutes
- 1 pound fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces*
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix
- 1/2 cup finely chopped salted dry-roasted peanuts
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Peanut oil
- 1. Toss okra with salt, and let stand 20 minutes. Add egg white, stirring to coat. Stir together baking mix and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Add okra, tossing to coat; gently press peanut mixture onto okra, shaking off excess.
- 2. Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven or cast-iron skillet; heat to 375°. Fry okra, in batches, 2 to 4 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- *1 (16-oz.) package frozen cut okra, thawed, may be substituted.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables