Oh my goodness...so yummy. Has a crunchy top and very moist center
Nutty Apple Spice Cake with Quick Butterscotch Sauce
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner
It's not necessary to peel the apples in this very moist cake. And the sugar produces a wonderful, crunchy top that's best eaten the day it's made. A glass of milk is a great accompaniment.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 cake piece and 1 1/2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 324
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 5g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 57.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 170mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 3/4 pound)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted
- Cooking spray
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dark rum or apple juice
- 1 (12.25-ounce) bottle fat-free butterscotch topping (such as Smucker's)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, beat sugar, oil, and eggs at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through nutmeg) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture, beating just until blended. Fold in apple and walnuts.
- Pour batter into a 13 x 9-inch baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Run a knife around outside edge; cool.
- To prepare sauce, combine raisins and rum in a microwave-safe bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in butterscotch topping; microwave on high 45 seconds or until hot. Serve cake with sauce.
- Note: Cake will keep for several days in an airtight container, but the crunchy top will soften.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Nutty Apple Spice Cake with Quick Butterscotch Sauce Recipe at a Glance