Cold day in the North Country. Saw the recipe on Facebook and just happened to have a bunch of bananas and sent my husband to the convenient store for cookies. Took advantage of the weather and, instead of using ice to chill the pudding, used the snow outside the kitchen door. Filled a large pan with snow, put the pan in the sink, stuck the saucepan in the pan, and cooled the pudding down! Probably would have been fun to do with kids on a snow day! Best part of course was eating it and it's a winner. Will make again, with or without snow!
Nutter Butter®-Banana Pudding Trifle
This homemade pudding in this layered dessert is divine, economical, and uses on-hand staples such as milk, eggs, flour, sugar and bananas. The peanut butter sandwich cookies take this trifle over the top.
- 3 cups milk
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 medium-size ripe bananas
- 1 (1-lb.) package peanut butter sandwich cookies
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- Garnishes: peanut butter sandwich cookies, dried banana chips, fresh mint sprigs
- 1. Whisk together first 4 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, 15 to 20 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla until butter is melted.
- 2. Fill a large bowl with ice. Place saucepan in ice, and let stand, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly chilled.
- 3. Meanwhile, cut bananas into 1/4-inch slices. Break cookies into thirds.
- 4. Spoon half of pudding mixture into a 3-qt. bowl or pitcher. Top with bananas and cookies. Spoon remaining pudding mixture over bananas and cookies. Top with sweetened whipped cream. Cover and chill 2 to 24 hours. Garnish, if desired.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Nabisco Nutter Butter® Sandwich Cookies. For photography, we divided mixture between 2 (1 1/2- to 2-qt.) wide-mouthed pitchers.
- Shortcut Nutter Butter®-Banana Pudding Trifle: Omit eggs, sugar, flour, and butter. Substitute thawed extra creamy whipped topping for sweetened whipped cream. Reduce vanilla to 1 tsp. Place 3 cups milk and vanilla in large bowl; add 2 (3.4-oz.) packages vanilla instant pudding mix. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed 2 minutes or until thickened; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream. Proceed with recipe as directed in Steps 2 through 4.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding and Pie Filling and Cool Whip Extra Creamy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note