Nutmeg Sugar Cookies
Freshly grated nutmeg brings out a delicious difference in these simple old-fashioned cookies.
Yield: 5 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well. Add eggs, sour cream, and vanilla; beat well.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and salt; stir well. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Cover and chill dough at least 3 hours.
- Combine 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg; stir well. Shape dough into 1" balls. Place 2" apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Grease bottom of a glass. Dip glass in sugar mixture, and press each ball flat.
- Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove cookies to wire racks immediately to cool.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note