although this recipe is good, it didn't seem especially decadent, given the ingredients. the smoked gouda is excellent and i will try substituting it in my favorite mac 'n' cheese recipe.
Not Yo' Mama's Mac 'n' Cheese
Decadent is the only word to describe this top-rated mac 'n' cheese of John's City Diner in Birmingham. The smoked gouda adds marvelous flavor, but you can substitute regular gouda.
More From Southern Living
Bake: 22 Minutes
- 1 cup Japanese breadcrumbs (panko)
- 1 (4-oz.) package thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 (16-oz.) package penne pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (10-oz.) blocks sharp white Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded smoked Gouda
- 1/2 cup (2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Bake breadcrumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet 5 to 7 minutes or until golden, stirring once after 2 1/2 minutes.
- 2. Cook prosciutto, in batches, in a lightly greased large skillet over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until crisp. Drain on paper towels; crumble.
- 3. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 4. Meanwhile, melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add shallot, and sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add wine, stirring to loosen particles from bottom of Dutch oven, and cook 1 minute.
- 5. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk and next 4 ingredients; cook, whisking constantly, 12 to 14 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. Remove and discard bay leaf.
- 6. Place 4 cups (16 oz.) Cheddar cheese in a large heatproof bowl. Reserve remaining Cheddar cheese for another use. Add Gouda and Parmesan cheeses to bowl.
- 7. Gradually pour white sauce over cheeses, whisking until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth.
- 8. Stir in pasta and prosciutto until blended. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 9. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Fiorucci Riserva Prosciutto and Cracker Barrel Vermont White Sharp Cheddar.
- No-Bake Not Yo' Mama's Mac 'n' Cheese: Omit breadcrumbs. Prepare recipe as directed in Steps 2 through 6. Stir pasta, prosciutto, and cheeses into white sauce. Serve immediately.
- Note: Don't use preshredded cheese; it doesn't melt as smoothly. You can shred the cheese and crisp the prosciutto up to one day ahead and chill. You can also toast the breadcrumbs ahead and store them in a zip-top plastic bag.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note