North African-Spiced Vegetable Tagine
Amy Kalyn Sims
Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 2/3 cups)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 199
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Carbohydrate: 35g
- Fiber: 8g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 326mg
- Calcium: 85mg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large fennel bulb, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 wedges
- 2 cups chopped peeled turnips
- 4 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and then into 3-inch sticks
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- 1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turmeric, cumin, and paprika; cook, stirring, until the spices begin to foam.
- 2. Add cilantro, parsley, garlic, and tomatoes; cook, stirring until they're well blended. Add fennel, potatoes, turnips, carrots, and broth. Then reduce heat to medium. Cover tightly and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender (about 30 minutes).
- 3. Add peas and cook until they are thoroughly heated. Season the mixture with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- 4. Transfer the mixture to a tagine pot or platter. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
- Tagine tips:
- 1. Our recipes call for a skillet, but you can also cook using a tagine dish. If you use a heavy cast-iron enamel tagine such as All-Clad's or Le Creuset's, cut the liquid in the recipe by half; the dish's tight seal doesn't allow as much evaporation as a regular pan's.
- 2. A tagine dish holds a limited amount of food, so use a small Dutch oven to make big amounts.
- 3. For a dramatic table presentation in keeping with Moroccan custom, set the dish in the center of the table, slowly lifting the lid to release the heady aromas and show off the colorful meal inside.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes