- 2 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk, divided
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) pre-shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup chopped bottled roasted red bell pepper
- 5 cups cooked wide egg noodles (about 4 cups uncooked)
- Cooking spray
- 1 (1-ounce) slice white bread
- 1 tablespoon light butter, melted
- calories 384
- fat 12.7 g
- satfat 7.5 g
- protein 20.7 g
- carbohydrate 45.7 g
- cholesterol 65 mg
- iron 2.2 mg
- sodium 797 mg
- caloriesfromfat 30 %
- fiber 2.3 g
- calcium 459 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 450°.
Pour 1 1/2 cups milk into a saucepan; cook over medium heat 1 minute or until warm. Whisk remaining 1 cup milk and flour in a bowl until flour dissolves. Add to pan; cook, stirring constantly, 8 minutes or until bubbly. Reduce heat to low; add cheese, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg. Stir until cheese melts.
Add corn, roasted red bell pepper, and cheese sauce to noodles. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
Place bread in a food processor; pulse 5 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/2 cup. Combine breadcrumbs and melted butter; sprinkle over noodle mixture. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.