Nonfat Yogurt Cheese
Notes: Do not use yogurt with gelatin; it will not drain. Improvise a drainer or buy one. Discard cheese with mold or soured aroma.
Yield: Makes 1 1/3 cups (about 3/4 lb.) to 1 3/4 cups (about 1 lb.) cheese
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 212
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Protein: 24g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 23g
- Sodium: 212mg
- 1 quart (2 lb.) plain nonfat yogurt
- 1. Set a strainer or colander over a deep pan or bowl, supporting it so base of strainer is at least 2 inches above pan bottom.
- 2. Line strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth or a clean muslin or linen towel. Dump yogurt into cloth. Enclose strainer and pan with plastic wrap to keep airtight.
- 3. Chill at least 24 hours or up to 4 days, pouring off whey as it accumulates. Shorter draining produces a moister cheese and more volume. Longer draining produces a thicker cheese and less volume.
- 4. Scrape yogurt cheese from cloth and use, or store airtight up to 9 days from when draining began. Drain off any whey that accumulates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This