No-bake Chewy Fruit and Nut Bars
Like a cross between Rice Krispies Treats and Italian panforte (fruitcake), these bars are based on a recipe from Healthy in a Hurry (Weldon Owen, 2012; $30) by Karen Ansel and Charity Ferreira.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 162
- Calories from fat: 44%
- Protein: 2.9g
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 68mg
- Cholesterol: 3.6mg
- 1 1/2 cups puffed brown rice cereal*
- 1 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup whole roasted unsalted or raw almonds
- 2/3 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
- About 2 tbsp. butter
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup*
- 1/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Butter foil. In a large bowl, stir together cereal, cherries, almonds, apricots, and chocolate.
- 2. Combine 2 tbsp. butter, the sugar, syrup, almond butter, and salt in a small saucepan and cook, stirring, over medium heat until butter melts and mixture is smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Immediately pour bubbling mixture over cereal mixture and stir until well combined.
- 3. Press mixture firmly into prepared pan, using lightly buttered hands. Chill until firm, about 1 hour. Tip out of pan onto a work surface and peel off foil. Using a sharp buttered knife, quarter mixture and then cut each quarter into 5 bars.
- *Find at natural-foods stores and Whole Foods Market.
Make ahead: Up to 1 week, chilled airtight between layers of waxed paper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note