No. 1 Fruit Stand Peach Cobbler
- 3 pounds ripe peaches
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipping cream or ice cream
- Prep and cook time: About 1 hour
- 1. Peel and pit peaches and slice into ½-inch-thick wedges, dropping slices into a shallow 2½- to 3-quart oval or other baking dish. Gently mix in 1/3 cup sugar; taste, and add a little more sugar if desired.
- 2. In a bowl, beat butter and remaining 1/3 cup sugar until well blended. Stir in 1/3 cup milk.
- 3. In another bowl, mix 1½ cups flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to butter mixture with another 1/3 cup milk and stir to combine. Batter should be stiff and sticky; if too dry, add a little more milk; if runny, add flour. Stir in vanilla.
- 4. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls evenly over prepared fruit (some fruit will show through).
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until top is browned and fruit is bubbling, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature: scoop into bowls and drizzle cream over each serving if desired.
- Per serving: 246 cal., 14% (35 cal.) from fat; 4 g protein; 3.9 g fat (2.2 g sat.); 50 g carbo (2.7 g fiber); 294 mg sodium; 11 mg chol.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note