Very tasty and very easy! Made exactly as directed but used shitake mushrooms.
New York Steak with Clamshell Mushrooms
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 190
- Calories from fat: 57%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.3g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Sodium: 331mg
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- 1 pound New York strip steak, fat trimmed, sliced diagonally 1/4 in. thick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces clamshell mushrooms*, ends trimmed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Chinese hot mustard
- 1/2 cup watercress leaves
- 1. Pat steak dry; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook steak, turning once, until browned but still pink in center, about 3 minutes total. Arrange steak on plates.
- 2. Add butter, mushrooms, garlic, and shallots to pan and cook until starting to brown, about 2 minutes. Add broth and remaining 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper. Simmer until most of liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes.
- 3. Spoon mushrooms over steak. Dollop each piece of steak with about 1/8 tsp. mustard and sprinkle plates with watercress.
- *Find clamshell mushrooms in well-stocked grocery stores.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes