My husbands favorite dessert is cheesecake, a simple vanilla cheesecake but only make it for special occasions because of the high fat/calorie count. I've tried many lower calorie recipes and this is by far the best. Easy to make, dense and very delicious. I used a graham crust. Also, I used the steam bath method along with opening the oven at the end and there was not once crack on the cake. Presentation was beautiful.
New York Cheesecake
This low-fat cheesecake recipe lets you enjoy a slice of classic New York cheesecake without all the guilt. Fat-free sour cream and cottage cheese and reduced-fat cream cheese keep this dessert light, creamy, and flavorful.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 5.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 12.9g
- Carbohydrate: 37.7g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Sodium: 410mg
- Calcium: 93mg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon ice water
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups fat-free cottage cheese
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 (8-ounce) blocks 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon 2/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place 2/3 cup flour and 3 tablespoons sugar in a food processor; pulse 2 times or until combined. Add butter; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, slowly pour ice water through food chute, processing just until blended (do not allow dough to form a ball).
- Firmly press mixture into bottom of a 9 x 3-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned; cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°.
- To prepare filling, strain the cottage cheese through a cheesecloth-lined sieve for 10 minutes; discard liquid. Place cottage cheese in food processor; process until smooth.
- Place 2 cups sugar and cream cheese in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Lightly spoon 1/4 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add 1/4 cup flour, sour cream, and remaining ingredients to cream cheese mixture; beat well. Add cottage cheese, stirring until well blended. Pour mixture into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until almost set. Turn oven off. Cool cheesecake in closed oven 1 hour. Remove cheesecake from oven; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Note: You can also make the cheesecake in a 10 x 2 1/2-inch springform pan. Bake at 300º for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until almost set. Turn oven off. Cool cheesecake in closed oven 30 minutes.
Because we wanted the height of a traditional New York-style cheesecake, we baked this in a springforn pan with high (3-inch) sides. If you're not sure about the dimensions of your pan, use a ruler to measure the inside of the pan. To prevent cracks and ensure a creamy texture, the cheesecake needs to cool gradually in the closed oven for one hour.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note