This is my go-to New Years black eyed pea recipe. My husband who is not a black eyed pea lover loves this! Unusual recipe but very good! Try it!
New Year's Lucky Peas
Serve these peas over rice for a hoppin' John-style good-luck meal.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Toppings: chopped tomato, sliced green onions, pepper sauce
- Sauté chopped onion in hot oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Stir in ham and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in peas and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. Serve with desired toppings.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables