These are outstanding. I actually probably prefer CL's other recipe for Hand-Hacked Pot Stickers slightly more because of the addition of shrimp, but these are very tasty. I prefer the cooking method in the other recipe, though this cooking method also works fine. Love the dipping sauce!
New Year's Dumpling Delight
Traditionally, the steamer basket is coated with oil to keep the dumplings from sticking. Here is a delightful alternative: Place each dumpling on a thinly sliced carrot "disk". When the dumplings come out of the steamer, each has its own little serving tray. You can make these dumplings ahead and freeze them.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 284
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 12.6g
- Carbohydrate: 35.6g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 973mg
- Calcium: 70mg
- Chili-Garlic Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- 1 hot red chile, minced
- 10 ounce ground pork
- 3 1/2 cups shredded Napa (Chinese) cabbage
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 3/4 cup minced green onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 3 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sake (rice wine) or sherry
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 40 won ton wrappers
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- To prepare dipping sauce, combine first 7 ingredients. Cover and refrigerate.
- To prepare dumplings, combine pork and next 10 ingredients (pork through black pepper) in a large bowl.
- Working with 1 won ton wrapper at a time (cover remaining wrappers with a damp towel to keep from drying), spoon about 2 teaspoons pork mixture into center of each wrapper. Moisten edges of wrapper with water; bring 2 opposite corners to center, pinching points to seal. Bring remaining 2 corners to center, pinching points to seal. Pinch 4 edges together to seal. Place dumplings, seam sides up, on carrot slices (cover loosely with a damp towel to keep them from drying).
- Arrange half of dumplings in a single layer in a bamboo or vegetable steamer. Steam dumplings, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove dumplings from steamer; place on a platter. Keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining dumplings. Serve with dipping sauce.
- Note: If you don't have a steamer, use a heat-proof plate. Set it on top of a heat-proof bowl placed in the bottom of a pot filled with 2 inches of water. Cover and steam.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note