I do not like tuna casseroles!! My husband does not like them either, however, he will eat whatever I put in front of him. This was absolutely wonderful. He said, "This is nothing like my mother made". Instead of either parsley or tarragon - I used both.. I used my favorite sharp cheddar - Canadian Cheddar. This is a comfort food - a company food - whatever you want or need it for - it was great!
New Tuna Casserole
Our take on the classic hits the high notes: creamy, cheesy, fresh, and crunchy. Resist digging into the casserole right out of the oven. Letting it stand for 10 minutes allows it to firm up to the perfect consistency.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 1 (16-oz.) package ziti pasta
- 1 (8-oz.) package haricots verts (thin green beans), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks, thinly sliced
- 2 (4-oz.) packages fresh gourmet mushroom blend
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 2 cups (8 oz.) shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (12-oz.) can solid white tuna in spring water, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon or parsley
- 1/4 cup crushed potato chips
- 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Garnish: sliced fresh chives
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- 2. Meanwhile, cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 30 seconds to 1 minute or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
- 3. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks, and sauté 2 minutes; add mushrooms, and sauté 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer leek mixture to a small bowl. Wipe skillet clean.
- 4. Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in skillet over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream and broth. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low; gradually whisk in Cheddar cheese and 4 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese until smooth. Stir in salt and pepper.
- 5. Stir cream mixture into pasta. Stir in tuna, next 2 ingredients, beans, and leek mixture; transfer to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 6. Stir together potato chips, next 2 ingredients, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese in a small bowl; sprinkle over pasta mixture.
- 7. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note