I loved this 3 bean salad. I ate the salad immediately after preparing the salad and also the next day. I preferred the brightness of the lemon on the first day.
The New Three-Bean Salad
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Randy Mon
No canned kidney beans here--and the flavors get even better if you start the salad a day ahead.
Yield: Serves 8 to 10
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 123
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Sodium: 110mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Finely shredded zest of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup grapeseed or canola oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- About 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bag (10 oz.) frozen shelled edamame
- 1 can (15 oz.) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 10 ounce green beans, cut into 1-in. pieces
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1. In a serving bowl, whisk together lemon zest, oil, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp. salt, and the sugar. Set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 in. water to a boil over medium-high heat. Steam edamame, covered, for 3 minutes. Add chickpeas and steam, covered, until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour both into a colander, then pat dry on a kitchen towel. Add to bowl with dressing and toss to coat.
- 3. In the same saucepan, bring another 1 in. water to a boil. Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Steam green beans, covered, until tender-crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Pour into a colander and immediately transfer to ice water. Let sit 30 seconds, drain, and pat dry on towel.
- 4. Add green beans and onions to chickpea mixture, toss to coat, and add more salt to taste if you like.
- Make ahead: Prepare recipe through step 3, wrap chickpea mixture and green beans separately, and chill up to 1 day. Bring both to room temperature before proceeding. Dressed salad can stand up to 1 hour before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads