- 1 (28-oz.) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1 whole chicken, (about 4 lb.) cut into 8 pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups Cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (4-inch) fresh rosemary sprigs
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
How to Make It
Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup juice.
If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
Cook chicken, in batches, in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from Dutch oven.
Reduce heat to medium. Add shiitake mushrooms and next 3 ingredients to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until mushrooms are soft and onion is translucent. Add wine, and bring to a boil. Cook 2 minutes. Add broth, rosemary, tomatoes, and reserved tomato juice, and bring to a boil. Return chicken to Dutch oven, nestling into sauce.
Cover and cook over medium-low heat 11/2 hours or until meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, basting chicken occasionally with liquid in Dutch oven during cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
I highly recommend using San Marzano tomatoes in this dish. Other canned tomatoes are packed in a thinner juice.