Excellent recipe! I used light corn syrup and smoked paprika in the marinade. Served with grilled lemon broccoli and mushroom tortellini.
New Orleans-Style Barbecued Shrimp with Cane-Syrup Glaze
Serve these kebabs with the Grilled Garlic-and-Herb Grits. It's a nice change of pace from rice.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 kebab)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 225
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 26.5g
- Carbohydrate: 16.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 202mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 48 extra-large shrimp, peeled and deveined (about 3 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup golden cane syrup (such as Lyle's Golden Syrup)
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Cooking spray
- Peel shrimp, reserving shells; cover and chill shrimp. Combine reserved shrimp shells and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain broth through a sieve into a large bowl; discard shells.
- Combine reserved broth, onions, and next 12 ingredients (onions through bay leaves) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Combine shrimp and syrup mixture in a dish; cover and marinate in refrigerator 1 hour.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove shrimp from dish, reserving marinade. Place reserved marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Thread 6 shrimp onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 6 minutes, turning once. Serve with reserved marinade, if desired.
- Note: Dark cane syrup (such as Steen's) may be substituted for golden cane syrup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes