Wonderful! I followed the basics of this recipe. I browned some hickory smoked Conecuh Sausage with some of the onion and some of the chopped garlic. Used andouille Sausage also. Only 2 T. Of the Cajun Spice because mine is very spicy and salty. To the 7 cups water I added a couple teaspoons of broth granules (chicken or beef). I didn't have celery, substituted 1/4 t. Celery salt. Throw in any leftover pork bones from the freezer! We had some in a ziplock from ribs we cooked on our smoker recently. Melt in your mouth !!! Enjoy LA style (lower Alabama :)
New Orleans Red Beans And Rice
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- Place first 8 ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, at HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note