I made these yesterday; however, I made a couple slight variations and I doubled the recipe. 1) I soaked the beans overnight; 2) instead of water, I used a 32 oz. container of chicken broth and hot water until the beans were sufficiently covered; 3) I omitted the celery & 4) instead of doubling the cajun seasoning by adding 6 Tbs., I added only 4 Tbs. It was spicy enough for those who like spicy foods and not too spicy for those who aren't big fans of spicy food. Everyone loved it and we have enough left over (it made a HUGE batch) that we can freeze some for later!
New Orleans Red Beans And Rice
Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Mary Lyn Hill
- 1 pound dried red beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- Hot cooked rice
- Garnish: sliced green onions
- Place first 8 ingredients in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- Cook, covered, at HIGH 7 hours or until beans are tender. Serve with hot cooked rice. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note