New Orleans Oyster Loaf
- 1 (1-pound) loaf unsliced French bread
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (12-ounce) containers Standard oysters, drained
- Vegetable oil
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Remove crust from ends and sides of bread. Trim off top of bread; discard. Scoop out inside of bread, leaving a 1-inch-thick shell. Spread butter over inside and outside of bread; place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture. Deep fry in hot oil (375°) until oysters float to the top and are golden brown. Drain well on paper towels.
- Place oysters in bread loaf. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes