New Orleans Jambalaya
An authentic New Orleans style jambalaya. I found this recipe on the net years ago (Thanks to whoever posted it). This is time consuming process but you will be very please with the results. The types of meats you use and the amounts are really up to personal taste but I figured this was a place to start. Plus my wife doesn't like green bell pepper so I substitute it with red bell pepper.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 pound(s) Raw whole shrimp peeled & deviened optional
- 1 cup(s) Ham Diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 cup(s) Cooked chicken diced or loosely shreaded
- 1/2 cup(s) Smoked sausage diced
- 2 tablespoon(s) Butter
- 4-6 clove(s) Garlic Crushed
- 1/2 cup(s) White or yellow onion Chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) celery Chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) Bell Pepper Chopped
- 2 cup(s) Canned dice tomatoes Drained - Reserve liquid
- 1 cup(s) Raw white rice
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/2 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1/2 cup(s) Boiling water
- 2 tablespoon(s) Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 teaspoon(s) Ground cayenne pepper or enough to achieve your desired level of heat
- 1. Heat the butter in a large saute pan. Fry the meat until browned and warmed through.
- 2. Add the Onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes until softened.
- 3. Stir in the tomatoes and cook 1-2 minutes to bring up to heat.
- 4. Add the rice, seasonings, liquid from the tomatoes and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low then cover and simmer (Not boil) for 30 minutes (avoid cracking the lid for a peak. It disturbs the cooking of the rice).
- 5. Remove the lid and stir in the boiling water. Cover again and continue to simmer for 15 more minutes (if adding shrimp add it at the 10 minute mark and let it cook for the last 5 minutes).
- 6. Enjoy with your favorite Louisiana hot sauce.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CraigfromSC and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note