Pretty tasty, though the relish is a bit time consuming. Now that I've made it once I'd probably just use store-bought fresh salsa verde in the future. If you like black bean burgers, I highly recommend "Our Homemade Quick Black Bean Burger" (CL, Nov 2009) and "Black Bean Burgers with Sriracha Aioli" (CL, Nov 2013).
"New" New Mexican Green Chile Cheeseburgers
More From Cooking Light
Total: 45 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 286
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 7g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 502mg
- Calcium: 86mg
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Cubanelle pepper
- 1 serrano chile
- 1 medium tomatillo, papery skin removed
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 (1/2-inch-thick) slices small red onion
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) can unsalted black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon whole-wheat panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces aged white cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 romaine lettuce leaves
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. To prepare relish, place first 4 ingredients on a foil-lined baking sheet. Coat vegetables with cooking spray. Broil 14 minutes, turning vegetables once. Wrap Cubanelle and serrano in foil; let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into 1-inch strips; discard peels and seeds. Combine tomatillo, Cubanelle, serrano, garlic, cilantro, and next 5 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon salt) in a mini food processor; pulse until combined.
- 3. To prepare burgers, brush onion slices with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Arrange onion in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 6 minutes or until lightly charred, turning once.
- 4. Combine mushrooms, 2 garlic cloves, and black beans in a food processor; pulse until mixture is coarsely chopped. Add panko and next 5 ingredients (through egg); pulse until combined. Divide mixture into 6 equal portions; shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- 5. Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add patties; cook 12 minutes, turning once. Add cheese to patties during last 2 minutes of cooking; cover pan to melt cheese. Place 1 lettuce leaf on bottom half of each bun. Top each lettuce leaf with 1 patty, 1 charred onion slice, and about 1 1/2 tablespoons relish. Top with top halves of buns.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This