Molasses, maple syrup, and apple butter imbue this treat with Yankee flavors. We like it best slightly toasted so the sweetened apple butter spread melts on the warm cake.
Cooking Light DECEMBER 2008
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare cake, coat a 12-cup tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon 10 ounces flour (about 2 1/4 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 10 ounces flour and next 6 ingredients (through allspice), stirring with a whisk.
4. Combine buttermilk, 1/2 cup apple butter, and 1/2 cup maple syrup, stirring with a whisk.
5. Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute). Add sugar and fresh ginger; beat at medium speed until well combined (about 1 minute). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
6. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
7. To prepare spread, place 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon apple butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Serve cake with spread.
Go to Full Version of