Made to recipe. Dusted the top with powdered sugar. It was just what we wanted, flavorful but lighter than "regular" gingerbread. Also made the very yummy apple butter spread, which I think we'll use on French toast this morning.
New England Gingerbread Cake with Maple-Apple Butter Spread
Molasses, maple syrup, and apple butter imbue this treat with Yankee flavors. We like it best slightly toasted so the sweetened apple butter spread melts on the warm cake.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice and 1 teaspoon spread)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 247
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 3.2g
- Carbohydrate: 41.1g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 208mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 10 ounce all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon apple butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. To prepare cake, coat a 12-cup tube pan with cooking spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon 10 ounces flour (about 2 1/4 cups) into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 10 ounces flour and next 6 ingredients (through allspice), stirring with a whisk.
- 4. Combine buttermilk, 1/2 cup apple butter, and 1/2 cup maple syrup, stirring with a whisk.
- 5. Place butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth (about 1 minute). Add sugar and fresh ginger; beat at medium speed until well combined (about 1 minute). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beating at low speed, add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 6. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
- 7. To prepare spread, place 1/4 cup butter, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, and 1 tablespoon apple butter in a bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes or until well blended. Serve cake with spread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
New England Gingerbread Cake with Maple-Apple Butter Spread Recipe at a Glance