New England Clam Chowder
- 4 (6 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams
- 3 medium potatoes (2 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Drain clams, reserving clam juice. Peel potatoes, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a Dutch oven; add diced onion, and saute until tender. Add clam juice and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Remove 1 cup potato with a slotted spoon; mash potato and return to Dutch oven. Stir in clams, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, milk, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews