This salad is delicious! It will appeal to those who like the old style ambrosia salad and keep the health nuts happy too. The dressing which is buttermilk combines well with the coconut. I could not find arugula and used fresh salad greens which worked too. I will probably use a third avocado as it mixes well with red grapefruit. I will definitely make this one again and serve it at Thanksgiving.
This recipe is a fresh way to use holiday citrus. Sprinkle toasted sweetened flaked coconut over each serving, if desired.
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 2 large Ruby Red grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3 celery ribs, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large avocados, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 jalapeÃ±o pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Buttermilk-Coconut Dressing
- 1 (5-oz.) package arugula
- 1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over mixture, and toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour.
- 2. Arrange arugula on 6 salad plates. Toss grapefruit mixture, and season with salt to taste. Spoon mixture over arugula using a slotted spoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Salads