Never Fail Pie Crust
Community Recipe from
- 1 1/4 cup(s) All purpose Flour Sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 1/2 cup(s) Vegetable Shortening (Not oil)
- 2 1/2 tablespoon(s) Cold Water
- Mix all purpose flour and salt together.
- Cut in 2/3 of the Vegetable Shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until fine as meal. Use a light cutting stroke.
- Cut in remaining Vegetable Shortening to size of large peas. Do not overmix.
- Sprinkle 2 1/2 tablespoons cold water over different parts of mixture; mix thoroughly, with fork until all particles cling together in a dough.
- Take up in hands and shape into smooth, flat round.
- Place on floured board; roll into circle 1/8 inch thick and larger than pie pan.
- Fit pastry into pan, patting out air with ball of dough.
- With Scissors or sharp knife, trim off pastry 1 inch beyond the edge of pie pan.
- Turn back pastry even with edge of pan to make a stand-up rim all around.
- Crimp pastry rim between thumb and forefinger to make an attractive "rope" edge.
- Prick shell all over with fork (for baked shells only)
- For BAKED SHELLS:
- Bake pie shell in very hot oven (450 degrees F) 10-15 minutes. This recipe makes enough pastry for a 9 inch pie shell or 6 tart shells.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by PharStarr and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Never Fail Pie Crust Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Pies/Pastries
More Recipes for Main Dishes