- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 eggs, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 cups half-and-half, scalded
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 baked (9-inch) pastry shell
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Grated chocolate
How to Make It
Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside.
Combine egg yolks, salt, and 1/4 cup sugar in top of a double boiler; beat well. Gradually add scalded half-and-half to yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Bring water in bottom of double boiler to a boil. Cook mixture over boiling water, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; add softened gelatin. Stir until gelatin dissolves. Stir in rum extract. Chill until mixture reaches consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold egg whites, 1 cup whipped cream, candied fruit, and pecans into chilled gelatin mixture. Spoon filling into pastry shell. Chill 2 hours or until set.
Garnish with 1/2 cup whipped cream and grated chocolate.