I've made this soup MANY times since finding it in Cooking Light, 2006! Looking up the recipe today I read the reviews and felt compelled to add my two cents. It's a hit every time I serve it! Creamy texture, beautiful golden color, fast and easy. I use whatever onions I have around (usually sweet or yellow), and always all red lentils. Fresh ginger, or at least ginger juice, (never dried/ground) is a must. I throw in the rest of the chopped jalapeno pepper (more than a TBSP). I still don't have Five Spice Blend so I must not need it. Garam Masala, Cardamom, or Cumin work well. Enjoy!!
Nepalese Red Lentil Soup
Turmeric gives this creamy soup a deep golden color, and the red lentils lend it a slightly sweeter flavor than brown or green lentils would. The lentils also provide niacin and plenty of folate, a B vitamin that may help delay cognitive decline.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 13.5g
- Carbohydrate: 32.7g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 453mg
- Calcium: 31mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried small red lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion, ginger, and jalapeño; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 6 cups water and next 4 ingredients (through five-spice powder); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes or until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Place one-third of lentil mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed lentil mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure twice with remaining lentil mixture. Stir in cilantro and juice. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note