I thought these were pretty bland. They were easy to make; I didn't have enough shortening so I used 1/4 cup shortening and 3/4 butter. They're fluffy and nice with soup, but I thought they would have more flavor. I think fresh herbs in the dough would really help.
Neiman Marcus Cheddar Cheese Biscuits
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Parchment paper
- 1. Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles small peas and dough is crumbly; stir in cheese. Add buttermilk, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 3 to 4 times. Place dough in a bowl; cover and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Pat or roll dough to 1-inch thickness; cut with a 1 1/2-inch round cutter, and place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown.
Unbaked biscuits may be frozen up to 1 month. Bake frozen biscuits as directed for 26 to 28 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note