I liked the flavor of this dish but as another poster mentioned, it felt like a side dish rather than a main course. It just left alot to be desired. I think adding chicken or pasta would really help to round it out.
Navy Bean-and-Artichoke Casserole with Goat Cheese
Canned beans make this casserole simple. It will taste even better if you cook your own. (Start with 2 cups of dried beans and cook per package instructions.)
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 349
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 10.8g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 17.3g
- Carbohydrate: 47.2g
- Fiber: 8.7g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Iron: 5.1mg
- Sodium: 926mg
- Calcium: 252mg
- 2 (1-ounce) slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 (15-ounce) cans navy beans, undrained
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cups chopped leek (about 3 large)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can artichoke bottoms, drained and each cut into 8 wedges
- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
- Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form to measure 1 cup.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Drain beans in a colander over a bowl, reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to measure 1 cup. Combine beans, thyme, sage, pepper, and 1 garlic clove.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 3 garlic cloves, leek, rosemary, salt, and artichokes; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in bean liquid mixture. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Spread half of bean mixture in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray, and top with half of goat cheese. Spread artichoke mixture over goat cheese; top with remaining bean mixture and remaining goat cheese. Combine the breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle over goat cheese. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Navy Bean-and-Artichoke Casserole with Goat Cheese Recipe at a Glance