Do not add more Cajan seasoning than called for in the recipe - it will make the fish too salty.
Natalie's Cajun-Seasoned Pan-Fried Tilapia
More From Southern Living
- 4 (4- to 6-oz.) tilapia fillets
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning*
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lemon (optional)
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprig
- 1. Sprinkle fillets with 1 tsp. seasoning. Combine remaining seasoning, flour, and cornmeal. Dredge fillets in flour mixture, shaking off excess.
- 2. Melt butter with oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add fillets, and cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until fish flakes with a fork. Squeeze juice from lemon over fillets, and garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.
- *Creole seasoning may be substituted.
- Cajun-Seasoned Pan-Fried Chicken Breasts: Substitute 4 (8-oz.) skinned and boned chicken breasts for tilapia. Proceed with recipe as directed, cooking 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until done. Prep: 10 min., Cook: 16 min.
- Cajun-Seasoned Pan-Fried Pork Chops: Substitute 4 (8-oz.) bone-in center-cut pork chops for tilapia. Proceed with recipe as directed, cooking 8 to 10 minutes on each side or until done. Prep: 10 min., Cook: 16 min.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes