Nannie's Smothered Quail
Yield: 2 to 3 servings
- 6 dressed quail
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- Split quail lengthwise to, but not through, breast bone; spread quail open, and pat dry. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients; dredge quail in flour mixture, reserving flour mixture.
- Pour oil into a 12" cast-iron skillet. Fry quail in 2 batches in hot oil over medium heat 3 to 4 minutes or until browned. Remove quail, and set aside. Reserve 1/4 cup drippings in skillet.
- Add reserved flour mixture to drippings. Cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until flour is browned. Slowly add water, stirring constantly. Return quail to skillet; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until quail is tender and gravy is thickened. Serve quail with gravy over wild rice blend, dirty rice, or mashed potatoes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes