Nancy's Honey Wheat Bread
Community Recipe from
- 3 cup(s) water 110-118 degrees
- 1/2 cup(s) honey
- 1 brown sugar
- 2 envelope(s) yeast or 4 1/2 tsp jar yeast
- 4 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) salt
- 1/2 cup(s) oat bran
- 1/2 cup(s) flax seed meal
- 1/2 cup(s) wheat gluten
- 1/2 cup(s) powdered milk
- 2 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 4 cup(s) unbleached flour
- - In large mixing bowl, stir honey and brown sugar into the water. Sprinkle yeast on the water and stir until dissolved (or mostly dissolved if not using rapid-rise yeast). Set the bowl aside in a warm place for 20 minutes. The mixture will form a bubbly top. If it does not after 20 minutes your water was too hot (killed the yeast) or too cold to activate the yeast.
- - While proofing the yeast (above), mix the whole wheat flour, flax seed meal, oat bran, powdered milk, salt and wheat gluten. When the yeast is ready, add about a cup of this mixture and the oil and mix well. Add the remaining dry mixture; mix on low until combined, then turn mixer up to 2 and mix for 30 seconds.
- - Add 2 cups unbleached flour and mix to combine. Change to the dough hook then add up to 2 more cups flour a little at a time to form a workable dough (The dough will begin to pull from the sides of the bowl).
- - Spread about 1/2 cup of flour on work surface. Dump the dough onto the flour and begin kneading it, incorporating the flour as you go. Lightly sprinkle more flour on the work service if the dough begins to stick using only enough to prevent sticking.
- knead 8 - 10 minutes.
- - Coat a large, clean bowl with cooking spray. Place dough upside down in the bowl to coat the top, then turn it over. Cover with a kitchen towel and place in a warm spot to rise until doubled. [you can turn the oven on for a very short time to warm it up slightly (85 - 90 degrees) but don't over heat]
- - Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead about a minute. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. Spray 3 loaf pans with cooking spray. After 10 minutes, divide the dough into 3 pieces and shape into loaves. Put upside down in the pans to coat the tops; the flip them over, cover and let rise until the sides of the dough reach the top of the pan and the dough has a rounded dome on the top.
- - Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Bake the loaves about 30 minutes. Test doneness by flipping one loaf out of the pan and tapping the bottom. It should sound hollow.
- - Remove bread from pans to cool. As tempting as it is, allow them to cool at least 10 minutes before cutting.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by notto1213 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes