Bake: 25 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 2 cups self-rising yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Pour bacon drippings into a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, and place in oven.
- 2. Combine cornmeal, sugar, and baking soda in a large bowl. Mix eggs and buttermilk in a separate bowl, stirring well. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients. Add 1 tablespoon hot bacon drippings, and stir just until moistened. Swirl remaining 1 tablespoon bacon drippings around skillet to coat evenly; pour batter into hot skillet.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Invert onto a cooling rack to cool slightly. Cut into wedges, and serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This