That must have been a mistake - unsweetened chocolate for the topping. Should be semi-sweet
Named after a town in British Columbia, this popular Canadian bar cookie recipe has a creamy topping and a graham cracker-pecan crust. You can store the bars airtight for up to 3 days. Save this bar cookie recipe for your edible gifting recipe file.
More From Sunset
Prep & Cook:
1 Hour, 30 Minutes
Chill: 2 Hours
- Calories: 196
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 1.7g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 138mg
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked dried coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over low heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter; let cool. In a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat melted butter, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and the egg until well blended. Stir in graham cracker crumbs, coconut, pecans, and cocoa powder.
- 2. Press dough evenly into a buttered and floured 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in a 350° oven until slightly darker, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter, remaining 2 cups powdered sugar, the milk, and the vanilla until smooth. Spread mixture evenly over cooled crust.
- 4. In a 1- to 2-quart pan over very low heat, stir remaining 2 tablespoons butter and the chocolate until melted. Spread over filling. Cover and chill until the filling is firm enough to cut neatly, at least 2 hours. Cut into 25 squares.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per bar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note