Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 216
- Calories from fat: 12%
- Fat: 2.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 7.5g
- Carbohydrate: 40.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 1mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 371mg
- Calcium: 39mg
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 1/4 cups bread flour, divided
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal, divided
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in yogurt. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 1/2 cup bread flour and whole wheat flour to yeast mixture; stir with a whisk until smooth. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours (batter will be bubbly, lacy, and weblike).
- Stir in salt and oil. Add 1 1/2 cups bread flour (1/2 cup at a time); stir with a wooden spoon (dough will become very difficult to stir).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining bread flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 2 hours or until doubled in size. (Press 2 fingers into dough. If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)
- Place pizza stone on the bottom rack in oven. Preheat oven to 500°.
- Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 8 equal portions. Working with 1 portion at a time, (cover remaining dough to keep from drying), stretch each portion into a 6-inch oval. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Make indentations in top of dough portions using the handle of a wooden spoon or your fingertips; cover and let rise 20 minutes.
- Place 2 dough portions on the back of a pizza peel dusted with 1 tablespoon cornmeal. Slide onto preheated pizza stone or baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake at 500° for 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Repeat with remaining dough and cornmeal. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note