Loved the unusual sauce with the bits of fennel. My husband asked for seconds. Glad to have a basic dough I can throw in my bread machine and have in 50 minutes. Next time I will make the sauce during the first dough rise to save time. Pizza at only 220 calories per slice! Oh goodie!
This pizza recipe is our version of the ones served in the romantic comedy, "Mystic Pizza". In the movie, Leona, the owner of a local pizza parlor, closely guards her family's sauce recipe that's made with a secret blend of Portuguese spices.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 5.8g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 11.2g
- Carbohydrate: 30.4g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 338mg
- Calcium: 199mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 package quick-rise yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons cornmeal
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 (8-ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
- Dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add 1 1/4 cups flour, oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; stir to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands.
- Place dough in a bowl coated with cooking spray; turn to coat top. Cover; let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Punch dough down; roll dough into a 12-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on a baking sheet or 12-inch pizza pan coated with cooking spray and sprinkled with cornmeal. Crimp edges of dough to form a rim. Let dough stand, covered, 10 minutes.
- Place a small saucepan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, cilantro, fennel seeds, pepper, and tomato sauce; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring occasionally. Spread sauce over pizza crust; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden. Remove pizza to cutting board; cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note