Mustard and Ginger Pickled Carrots
San Francisco Bay Area chef and cookbook author Joanne Weir gave us this tender-crisp pickle. It's good served with raw vegetables alongside dips at a party.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 16
- Calories from fat: 8%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 0.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 3.7g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 167mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 10 to 12 medium carrots (about 2 lbs.)
- 2 cups distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 quarter-size thin slices fresh ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1. Peel carrots and cut into 1/4-in. matchsticks.
- 2. Bring 3 cups water and all ingredients except carrots to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Add carrots and simmer until almost tender, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3. Transfer carrots and liquid to a bowl and let cool to room temperature. Chill, covered, overnight to let flavors develop. Serve cold. Keeps, chilled, up to 1 week.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1/4-cup serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note