Mussels with Sausage and Thyme
Thyme adds a warm herbal note to the savory sausage and briny-sweet mussels. Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes. Notes: If using sausage links, remove casings and crumble meat before adding it to the pan. You can cook the aromatics a day ahead (through step 2), cover and chill them, then reheat before adding mussels.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 144
- Calories from fat: 75%
- Protein: 6.3g
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 5.3g
- Carbohydrate: 2.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Sodium: 261mg
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage or links (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 pounds mussels
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. In a large sauté pan or pot over medium-high heat, melt 1 tbsp. butter. Add sausage and cook, stirring to break into bits, until sausage is cooked through and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Add shallot and garlic. Stir until fragrant, 1 minute. Add wine, increase heat to high, and cook until reduced by half, 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and stir in remaining butter and the lemon juice.
- 3. Add mussels, cover, and increase heat to high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mussels are open, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme and pepper. Divide mussels among 12 plates, along with some of the sauce from bottom of pan. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This